If Gratitude is your top strength you are aware of the good things that happen to you, and you never take them for granted. Your friends and family members know that you are a grateful person because you always take the time to express thanks.
Gratitude falls under the virtue category of Transcendence. Transcendence describes strengths that provide a broad sense of connection to something higher in meaning and purpose than ourselves.
There are two types of gratitude:
Benefit-triggered gratitude=the state that follows when a desired benefit is received from a benefactor.
Generalized gratitude=the state resulting from awareness and appreciation of what is valuable and meaningful to yourself.
There are two stages of gratitude:
Acknowledging the goodness in your life.
Recognizing the source of this goodness is outside yourself.y
Video on Building Gratitude
Tell people “thank you,” often
Exercises for Boosting Gratitude
Write down three good thing that you are grateful for each day.
Set aside at least ten minutes every day to savor a pleasant experience.
It’s a Wonderful Life
Movies are an art-form highly suited for inspiring character strengths and helping in the discovery, understanding and exploration of these positive aspects in human beings. Ryan Niemiec (VIA's education director) and Danny Wedding explore 1,500 examples in their book Positive Psychology at the Movies, 2nd edition (2014). They explain that the best positive psychology movies meet the following criteria:
- Strong portrayal of a character's signature strengths which are critical to the character's identity;
- Depicts conflict/obstacles that challenge the character;
- The character uses strengths to overcome the adversity;
- The film's overall presentation is uplifting or speaks deeply to the human condition.
- The film holds great potential to generate cinematic elevation (i.e., it causes people to feel motivated to do good and increases their altruism) or cinematic admiration (i.e., it causes people to want to improve themselves and copy the model).
Thank You Fa Lettin Me Be Myself Again – Sly & the Family Stone
Poems, Prayers and Promises – John Denver
Thank You – Bonnie Raitt
Heavenly Day – Patty Griffin
You are the Best Thing – Ray La Montagne