If Kindness is your top strength you are kind and generous to others, and you are never too busy to do a favor. You enjoy doing good deeds for others, even if you do not know them well.Take The Free VIA Survey
Kindness falls under the virtue category of Humanity. Humanity describes strengths that manifest in caring relationships with others. These strengths are interpersonal and are mostly relevant in one-on-one relationships.
Kind individuals believe that others are worthy of attention and affirmation for their own sake as human beings, not out of s sense of duty or principle. There are three traits of altruistic personalities:
Be helpful, err toward caring.
Exercises for Boosting Kindness
Perform a random act of kindness each day (ex: slowing to allow a car in front of you, complimenting a co-worker, buying a treat for your partner)
Say kinder and softer words to people when interacting through email, writing letters, talking on phone. Smile when answering the phone and sound happy to hear from the person on the other end of the line.
Take out a friend(s) on a surprise dinner and pay for it.
Pay It Forward
The Blind Side
Meet John Doe
Movies are an art-form highly suited for inspiring character strengths and helping in the discovery, understanding and exploration of these positive aspects in human beings. Ryan Niemiec (VIA's education director) and Danny Wedding explore 1,500 examples in their book Positive Psychology at the Movies, 2nd edition (2014). They explain that the best positive psychology movies meet the following criteria:
- Strong portrayal of a character's signature strengths which are critical to the character's identity;
- Depicts conflict/obstacles that challenge the character;
- The character uses strengths to overcome the adversity;
- The film's overall presentation is uplifting or speaks deeply to the human condition.
- The film holds great potential to generate cinematic elevation (i.e., it causes people to feel motivated to do good and increases their altruism) or cinematic admiration (i.e., it causes people to want to improve themselves and copy the model).
We Are The World
Angel Flight – Radney Foster/Darden Smith
Lean on Me – Bill Withers
I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing – Demi Holborn
Put a Little Love in Your Heart – Al Green & Annie Lennox
Your Song – Elton John
You’ve Got a Friend – Carole King