Love Of Learning
If Love of Learning is your top strength, you love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.Take The Free VIA Survey
Love of Learning falls in the virtue category of Wisdom. Wisdom deals with strengths that involve the way we acquire and use knowledge.
Love of learning describes the way in which a person engages new information and skills. Love of learning is a strength that teachers would like to see in their students, parents want to encourage in their children, therapists support in their clients, and employers try to foster in their employees. It has important motivational consequences because it helps people persist through challenges, setbacks and negative feedback.
How to Learn Anything
Love of Learning Motto
Learn something from every situation.
Exercises for Boosting Love of Learning
Deliberately learn five new words, including their meaning and usage, at least twice a week.
Read a non-fiction book monthly on a topic you find absorbing and engaging.
Follow an ongoing global event through newspapers, TV or internet.
Akeelah and the Bee
Mad Hot Ballroom
Movies are an art-form highly suited for inspiring character strengths and helping in the discovery, understanding and exploration of these positive aspects in human beings. Ryan Niemiec (VIA's education director) and Danny Wedding explore 1,500 examples in their book Positive Psychology at the Movies, 2nd edition (2014). They explain that the best positive psychology movies meet the following criteria:
- Strong portrayal of a character's signature strengths which are critical to the character's identity;
- Depicts conflict/obstacles that challenge the character;
- The character uses strengths to overcome the adversity;
- The film's overall presentation is uplifting or speaks deeply to the human condition.
- The film holds great potential to generate cinematic elevation (i.e., it causes people to feel motivated to do good and increases their altruism) or cinematic admiration (i.e., it causes people to want to improve themselves and copy the model).
Teach Me Tonight
Keep On Growing – Derek & The Dominos
Downtown – Petula Clark
To Sir With Love – LuLu
Teach Your Children Well – CSNY
ABC – Jackson 5