If Love is your top strength you value close relations with others, in particular those in which sharing and caring are reciprocated. The people to whom you feel most close are the same people who feel most close to you.Take The Free VIA Survey
Love falls under the virtue category of Humanity. Humanity describes strengths that manifest in caring relationships with others. These strengths are interpersonal and are mostly relevant in one-on-one relationships.
There are four types of love, each with a biological and evolutionary base:
Attachment love: parent for child; child for parent
Compassionate/altruistic love: kindness
Companionate love: friendship
Romantic love: spouse/partner/boyfriend/girlfriend
Be a warm and strong listener.
Exercises for Boosting Love
Convey love at work by making an effort to understand who you’re working with, finding out what is important to them and engaging with them on the topic regularly.
Engage in a favorite activity with a loved one (e.g., hiking, going to an amusement park, biking, walking in the park, swimming, camping, jogging).
Away From Her
The Best Years of Our Lives
Movies are an art-form highly suited for inspiring character strengths and helping in the discovery, understanding and exploration of these positive aspects in human beings. Ryan Niemiec (VIA's education director) and Danny Wedding explore 1,500 examples in their book Positive Psychology at the Movies, 2nd edition (2014). They explain that the best positive psychology movies meet the following criteria:
- Strong portrayal of a character's signature strengths which are critical to the character's identity;
- Depicts conflict/obstacles that challenge the character;
- The character uses strengths to overcome the adversity;
- The film's overall presentation is uplifting or speaks deeply to the human condition.
- The film holds great potential to generate cinematic elevation (i.e., it causes people to feel motivated to do good and increases their altruism) or cinematic admiration (i.e., it causes people to want to improve themselves and copy the model).
Greatest Love of All
The Word – Beatles
Great Big Love – Bruce Cochburn
Both Hands – Ani DiFranco
Shower the People – James Taylor
Love Train – The O’Jays
Shelter – Ray La Montagne
Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel
All You Need is Love – The Beatles