If Perseverance is your top strength, you work hard to finish what you start. No matter the project, you “get it out the door” in timely fashion. You do not get distracted when you work, and you take satisfaction in completing tasks
Perseverance falls under the virtue category of Courage. Courage describes strengths that deal with overcoming fear. These strengths can manifest themselves inwardly or outwardly as they are composed of cognitions, emotions, motivations and decisions
Perseverance involves the voluntary continuation of a goal-directed action despite the presence of challenges, difficulties, and discouragement. There are two vectors of perseverance. It requires both effort for a task and duration to keep the task up.
A Story of Perseverance
Don’t Give Up.
Exercises for Boosting Perseverance
Set five small goals weekly. Break them into practical steps, accomplish them on time, and monitor your progress from week to week.
Keep a checklist of things to do and regularly update it.
Select a role-model who exemplifies perseverance and determine how you can follow her/his footsteps.
Touching the Void
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Pursuit of Happyness
Movies are an art-form highly suited for inspiring character strengths and helping in the discovery, understanding and exploration of these positive aspects in human beings. Ryan Niemiec (VIA's education director) and Danny Wedding explore 1,500 examples in their book Positive Psychology at the Movies, 2nd edition (2014). They explain that the best positive psychology movies meet the following criteria:
- Strong portrayal of a character's signature strengths which are critical to the character's identity;
- Depicts conflict/obstacles that challenge the character;
- The character uses strengths to overcome the adversity;
- The film's overall presentation is uplifting or speaks deeply to the human condition.
- The film holds great potential to generate cinematic elevation (i.e., it causes people to feel motivated to do good and increases their altruism) or cinematic admiration (i.e., it causes people to want to improve themselves and copy the model).
I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
Workin on a Dream – Bruce Springsteen
One Step at a Time – Jordin Sparks
Ramble On – Led Zeppelin
Not Fade Away – Buddy Holly
In Repair – John Mayer