If Spirituality is your top strength you have strong and coherent beliefs about the higher purpose and meaning of the universe. You know where you fit in the larger scheme. Your beliefs shape your actions and are a source of comfort to you.Take The Free VIA Survey
Spirituality falls under the virtue category of Transcendence. Transcendence describes strengths that provide a broad sense of connection to something higher in meaning and purpose than ourselves.
Spirituality is believed to describe both the private, intimate relationship between humans and the divine, and the range of virtues that result from the relationships. Spirituality is universal. Although the specific content of spiritual beliefs varies, all cultures have a concept of an ultimate, transcendent, sacred force.
Experience the Beauty and Wonder of Nature
Look for what is sacred in this moment.
Exercises for Boosting Spirituality
Cultivate sacred moments in which you set aside time to “just be” with a special/sacred object or space/environment.
Build in spiritual tools as a regular practice (ex: prayer, meditation, exploring nature) or as a way of approaching life (ex: giving charity, showing compassion to less fortunate individuals).
When experiencing trauma or a difficult situation, look for the deeper meaning and purpose of the experience.
The Wizard of Oz
Field of Dreams
Run Lola Run
Un Buda (A Buddha)
Of Gods and Men
Movies are an art-form highly suited for inspiring character strengths and helping in the discovery, understanding and exploration of these positive aspects in human beings. Ryan Niemiec (VIA's education director) and Danny Wedding explore 1,500 examples in their book Positive Psychology at the Movies, 2nd edition (2014). They explain that the best positive psychology movies meet the following criteria:
- Strong portrayal of a character's signature strengths which are critical to the character's identity;
- Depicts conflict/obstacles that challenge the character;
- The character uses strengths to overcome the adversity;
- The film's overall presentation is uplifting or speaks deeply to the human condition.
- The film holds great potential to generate cinematic elevation (i.e., it causes people to feel motivated to do good and increases their altruism) or cinematic admiration (i.e., it causes people to want to improve themselves and copy the model).
A Mother’s Prayer
Let it Be – Beatles
We Shall All Be Reunited – Patty Griffin
I Don’t Know Why – Shawn Colvin
Jesus Take the Wheel – Carrie Underwood
What if God Was One of Us – Joan Osborne
One Love – Bob Marley
Morning Has Broken – Cat Stevens