Dr. Neal H. Mayerson, Chairman, received his Ph.D. in clinical psychology and worked in hospital, community mental health and private practice settings for 15 years as a psychotherapist with specialties in chronic pain and eating disorders. Dr. Mayerson is the President of the Manuel D. and Rhoda Mayerson Foundation, a private charitable foundation, President of The Mayerson Company, a real estate investment and management company, and Chairman of Mayerson Academy, a non-profit professional development organizations for K-12 educators.
He was Founder and Chairman of Hummingbird Coaching Services, a company that pioneered online coaching services, and which ultimately was acquired by Humana. He also founded RISE Learning Solutions, a non-profit that provided professional development to preschool teachers nationwide. In 1999 he collaborated with Dr. Martin E.P. Seligman on the founding of positive psychology, specifically by creating the VIA Institute on Character. The VIA Classification of Character Strengths and Virtues along with the VIA Surveys on Character Strengths are considered to be among the most important outputs in positive psychology, having spawned hundreds of scientific articles and millions of people worldwide discovering their character strengths and how to use them to improve their lives and the lives of others.
In his work with the Foundation, Dr. Mayerson has initiated and/or been a principal developer of numerous other nonprofit organizations and programs, including: The Mayerson Academy, the Mayerson Center for Safe and Healthy Children, the Inclusion Network, the Mayerson Student Philanthropy Program at Northern Kentucky University, RISE Learning Solutions, the Mayerson High School Service Learning Program, the Mayerson Artistic Excellence Fund,
Dr. Mayerson’s interests are varied, including having introduced Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer as a consumer brand, producing the award winning musical CD Hidden Treasures which is a tribute to King Records where rock and roll music was conceived, and establishing a unique social networking site based on conversations in poetry.
Here are 5 reasons you should have your clients or employees take the VIA Survey:
1. Levels the playing field. Individuals are naturally wired to focus more attention on negative aspects of their personality. By giving them feedback on their good qualities you are allowing them to see themselves in a more balanced way.
2. Gives you a honest, accurate picture. Signature strengths are elemental; our true essence. Once you know your employee’s or client’s top strengths you understand the basic building blocks of their unique personality and can guide them more effectively.
3. Easy to implement. You are busy and don’t have time to learn new, complicated strategies to replace what you are currently doing.
4. Creates a deeper connection. When you can spot and show appreciation for an individual’s strengths they end up feeling “known” and understood. This contributes to a strong and mutually engaging relationship.
5. Focusing on strengths makes people happier and more engaged. Said simply, “it works”.Research continually proves that individuals that know and use their character strengths find more satisfaction in their relationships, have greater engagement at work and have better success at reaching their goals